Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pretend you're a middle to high school teacher or that (if you don't) you have kids old enough to read these. Which of these two works would you cover in your classroom or your kids? What would be your objectives? Activities?

Young adults in this day and age I don’t think would take well to Alice in Wonderland as it is. Perhaps in another format, but not the original story I feel. The language and attitude toward children reminds me of C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia with how it addresses the child’s mind. It’s a manner of explaining what the child was thinking or their reasons for acting as they have that I liked as an adult but was always unsure about as a teen because I would think “No, I know this character and I know why they are doing this. Why are you telling me?” But it’s for that sake I lean toward the Time Warp Trio. I’m unsure though whether this is an example of modern children’s thinking or the dumbing down of children’s literature because I just feel that Alice should be introduced to a child when they are younger, maybe elementary school. Also while I feel Alice is classic, I think teens especially tend to like more contemporary novels, just looking at what’s popular today can indicate that.
I also feel that “Summer Reading Is Killing Me” is a great segway into more advanced novels and any reader would get excited when they recognize a character from other readings! They not only involved classic characters, but also the kids from the Wayside School which was a favorite of mine in youth and the concept of “The Girl” blending together for them was sort of hilarious. As a female reader though, I would have liked to see novels that The Girl’s various faces actually came from on that reading list included at the end of the story. As much as I loved to read,m I used to hate summer/assigned reading because I didn’t like being forced to read, but books have become more fun over the years and schools are more open I feel.

On dumbing down: the Alice books appeal to different readers differently at different ages, and a lot of fantasy-loving teems, tweens and younger independent readers were exposed to fantasy through them; fewer since Harry Potter.
Why do you feel "Summer Reading" might lead young readers to read more advanced fiction?
Do you think you might've enjoyed summer reading more had you read this story to prepare for it? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment