Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book Banning Sci-Fi

As far as science fiction novels for young adults, I'd want to any young adult I know to read the same book I've recommended to so many people and have even bought copies for it as gifts. Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game". The author has some politics that I don't agree with, but honestly, I've gotten to a point of when I enjoy a book I try not to worry about that. A six year old boy, a Third in a society where you're only allowed two children unless sanctioned by the Government, is taken from his family to be trained as the commander of the world's forces against the Buggers, aliens that had tried to attack the Earth in the past. These are very intelligent children and they learn how to deal with growing up, bullies, situations that are out of their hands with logic and cool minds. I would have children read this and discuss ways they would use to solve the problems that Ender faces, choices that he's made.

This week I'll throw this link at you guys: Scifi Books That Have Been Banned in the 21st Century

I'm always saddened when I see books like The Giver on the list. I mean, it's a good book and it shows us things growing up that we might not have even thought of before. His Dark Materials I see the reason for banning it, but honestly I feel like it could just as easily be taken as an enjoyable story as well. Not child is going to sit there and examine a novel and then start questioning their religion because of it. Frankly, young adulthood is a time when lots of children question well, everything. A book series isn't going to be a deciding factor.

It also disturbs me that you see "reasons for banning" His Dark Materials--though I don't think you meant it that way:-)
Good poit about young adulthood as a time of questioning, but is that the best defense of sci fi that you can come up with


It's more being able to see where they take their ideas from than actually agreeing with their ideas.

Well, as a genre it gives kids a safe place to see strong issues, like racism, that otherwise might be pussy footed around in a regular novel. They see a world that could be, like in The Giver, and it gets them thinking if they want this or if they don't, and what they can do about it. It introduces new ideas that aren't easily introduced.

Thought so--just wanted to make sure--and to get you to clarify:-)
Okay on the rest--but true of many forms of literature. I'm talking about the nature of sci fi as a genre, as the literature of the possible (possible futures, mainly).

No comments:

Post a Comment