Thursday, May 13, 2010

Legends

To which of these or other legends would you expose your students or children? Why? What would be your objectives and what activities would you use to reach these objectives?

Legends are really wide spread, even if we don't always call something a legend. Maybe because I'm American, but I didn't realize that Robin Hood and King Arthur were actually considered legends. It makes good sense, just not something I had previously thought of.
My personal favorite was always King Arthur and the various versions of it. I feel like there are so many different re-tellings that almost everyone could find a version they like, adult and children. While "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" is good, I feel like I'd rather share something like "The Sword and the Stone" to children because Arthur is still a child and isn't yet king until he pulls the sword from the stone. And yeah, technically I'm working off of the movie but I know there is a book of it.
I'd love to have a big display like a castle to hold the books with a stone with a sword in it in front of it. Of course, all fake. Then have a big poster or easel with paper where kids could write down something they'd like to decree if their were suddenly king or queen.

Nice idea for a library display on Arhurian literature--and maybe on all those fantasy works based on it.
The Sword in the Stone is a section in my favorite retelling of the Arthurian legends--T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Might have done this last semester, but I REALLY recommend that.
You shou;d also recall the discussion of the SArturian material in 243--it IS all legend, and one of England's founding myths.

No comments:

Post a Comment