Saturday, February 27, 2010

Primers

What do primers tell us about the values of the times/places in which they were written? The view of childood in those times and places? How do primers develop/devolve over time (here, consider the differences betweeen the Mcguffey and Fun with Dick and Jane). What primer (first readers in school) did you read? If you are (or were) a primary school teacher or (are/were) planning to be one, and you were given the choice, what would you use as a primer in your classes? What would be your objectives? How would you achieve them? If you're a parent or planning to be one, which primers would you use (or did you/would you have used) with your children? Why and HOW?


The improving status of primers shows the improving of the times. Childhood became more and more a time in which we are to learn. When education to the age of ten became both free and compulsory in 1880, I feel like that was one of the earliest steps in the proper direction. Literacy was obviously increasing in importance when the right to vote in Britain was extended to the people.

Primers I feel devolved to a degree, at least between the McGuffey and Dick & Jane. The McGuffey read like a story in a children's book, which it actually is. I've heard Chicken Little growing up for years, though I've never heard this ending. There is an actual story there for children to learn from, but with Dick & Jane it's sort of dull and more repetitive. Neither Jane nor Chicken Little can understand what they are getting wrong, but where Jane gets it wrong, she laughs and fixes her mistake. Chicken Little gets eaten. The issue I find with Dick & Jane is the language. It's stiff and robotic.

"'Oh, oh!' laughed Jane.
'Where is one for me?
I will get one for Jane."


I doubt children in this era even spoke in this manner. It sounds awkward and like someone's trained words. Chicken Little also uses older language, but as it's a fairytale and from a time where we accept and almost expect that kind of language.

I wouldn't use Dick & Jane for my children. I don't like the language and though it's good that Jane can laugh at her mistake (which is a fine lesson!), I feel like Dick almost mocks her with how repetitious he is in pointing out her mistake. I'd be more likely to use something with fairy tales, stories that I've told my child in earlier times. My parents read the Frog and Toad stories to me as a child, which I felt were very laid back with the layout of the text to the pictures helping to show what's happening. I feel like I'd also want to use books like those. First I'd read them to the child aloud, sitting beside them and using my finger to follow the words to let them see them as I speak them. We'd discuss any strange or large words or actions that the child might not understand. Eventually, I'd offer for them to read with me. Ideally, the child would eventually take over reading the books to me or just themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment