Saturday, February 27, 2010

Alphabets

What do alphabets tell us about the values of the times/places in which they were written? The view of childood in those times and places? How have alphabets changed over time? Which kinds of alphabet works would be best for which kinds/ages of children, and why? If you were an early primary school or kindergarten teacher or were planning to be one, which alphabet books would you use in your classroom? Why and HOW? If you're a parent or planning to be one which alphabet books would you use (or did you/would you have used) with your children? Why and HOW?

The alphabets have changed in presentation greatly over the years. Originally a strip placed in view of all the students to be repeated and memorized almost mindlessly. As writing and reading became more a part of things, with primers and hornbooks, I feel like the value of the education improved. Children were actually having to do some physical work to be associated with that big bunch of letters. The addition of rhymes and pictures I think also made things better. Instead of simply learning letters, they also learned sounds, "A Was an Archer" and "Andrew Airpump asked his aunt her ailment" it's not just memorizing, it's also hearing the sounds in repetition. Children don't just learn by memorizing and repeating and in so hearing, though it can be helpful. Some children need visual queues as well, pictures to associate with what they learn.

I think I'd use several methods to teach my child. I'd use something colorful with pictures and words that I would read aloud. The Dr. Seuss alphabet would be good, as children will encounter his work often and I know I used to love Dr. Seuss books. The only draw back is while the sounds are massive, the words are often made up which can be fun, but I would want to also use a source with real words that children could relate to better. That would depend on the child I think. I wouldn't use something that seemed as difficult as Anno's Alphabet for teaching, but maybe for improving a child's skills as they learn more, just not for a a first effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment