Saturday, February 27, 2010

Graphic Novels and Libraries

As far as public libraries, there's a decent amount of choice when it comes to comics. It seems at least at my local branch that graphic novels are awarded their own area, which makes it convenient, yes, but only once you find thing thing. It's set aside within a pair of shelves that's supposed to be their "Young Adult" section. It's on the opposite side of the library of the Children's section and actually set very close to one of three sets of racks of Romance Novels. I was surprised that this designation existed, though happy. However, I entirely missed it upon entering. All I saw in the catalog was "YA Graphic Novel" as the designations, then it was separated by author's names. The shelf itself had a lot of American graphic novels along with a few manga (Japanese graphic novels) mixed in. The selection wasn't awful I guess, including work by Neil Gaiman, the first book in the "Maus" series, a splattering of super hero books, and several from the "Bone" series as well. I personally didn't care for the style of organization, however my particular branch is a rather small one.
As a reader, I prefer college libraries for organization of graphic novels. Admittedly, they don't have the same concerns for a children's section and such. At my community college, there is a long line of shelves against the wall with fiction of various sorts. You can find graphic novels mixed within the rest of the shelves though, I believe around the art section. They actually house "Watchmen" as well as most if not all of the "Sandman" series, among other well known titles.
Something I've seen at book stores, but not so much as libraries has been a collection of graphic novels that sort of retell classic works, like "Hamlet" in comic form. I think that sort of thing would appeal to young people. I mean, Shakespeare is hard for a lot of us and (in my opinion) is better to see acted out or hear out loud. I feel that seeing it in the form of a comic could easily draw people in though, and make use of images that were only alluded to even on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment