Thursday, February 4, 2010

John Keats' Letters of Benjamin Bailey

After reading Keats' letter to Benjamin Bailey, attempt to explain the last two lines.

"The first thing that strikes me on hea[r]ing a Misfortune having befalled another is. "Well it cannot be helped.- he will have the pleasure of trying the resources of his spirits, and I beg now my dear Bailey that hereafter should you observe anything cold in me not to [put] it to the account of heartlessness but abstraction-for I assure you I sometimes feel not the influence of a Passion or Affection during a whole week-and so long this sometimes continues I begin to suspect myself and the geniuness of my feelings at other times-thinking them a few barren Tragedy-tears."

Here Keats expresses that when something awful happens to someone he knows or hears of, that he doesn't feel sorry for them he sort of envies them. This person will get to be unsettled and will actually have to try to repair something by whatever way he choices. It's almost as though Keats doesn't feel he is allowed this sort of living. He doesn't want his friend to find him cruel in this thinking as it does sound a bit cruel, he wants Bailey to know he means it not in that manner. He feels like that sort of living, with different though not good experiences is inspiring. He feels that should he isn't really stirred by much and sort of envies their stirring. He feels that as he is sometimes without "Passion or Affection" for so long that he sometimes questions his other emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment