Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Puss In Boots

I think as an auntie, I'd share Perrault's "Puss in Boots" with my nephew. I think the initial concept of it, a cat walking around in boots, is something he'd enjoy. We have cats and I know he'd find it hilarious to see them going around in boots and I'd have to agree with him.

Also, I feel it's a story of over coming what's been given to you. The youngest son was just given a cat, as opposed to a mill or an ass (though I'll confess, kids giggle and I would have to just say donkey) which are productive things. The brother whines at first, as we all do, but then the cat makes himself useful to keep his skin. Truthfully, it might not be the best story to tell a kid that has a habit of lying and making things up (my nephew), but I think he'd still enjoy it. As Erikcon goes, I think both my nephew and this story fall easily within the Latency stage. While this teaches to be industrious and work with what you're given, the child himself is trying to develop such skills already.

Of course, I'm not sure if he'd take away the second moral Perrault purposes, about dressing well and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment